Mandarin Dual Language Immersion (MDLI)
Dual Language classrooms are integrated with a balanced number of English and heritage and native Mandarin speaking students. Our Mandarin Dual Language Immersion Program at Wilson Elementary follows a 80/20 research based model.
In kindergarten, students learn Mandarin for the majority of their day: 80% of instruction is delivered in Mandarin, while 20% is provided in English. As each year progresses after kindergarten, the time in English instruction increases by 10% per year to achieve a 50% Mandarin and 50% English ratio by 3rd grade. Students begin formal English literacy instruction in 3rd grade. Instruction is evenly divided between Mandarin and English in 3rd, 4th and 5th grade.
Wilson Mandarin DLI Benefits:This graph illustrates the percentage of Mandarin instruction and English instruction.
- Students achieve proficiency in both English and Mandarin
- Students achieve academically at or above grade level in both languages
- Students develop positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors
- Students develop a high level of self-esteem and confidence
- Cognitive development and critical thinking skills are utilized and well developed by learning a second language at an early age
- Biliteracy helps prepare students for our global society
- Biliteracy gives students greater career opportunities
Our Mandarin Dual Immersion program continues to thrive and grow. Currently it serves approximately 100 students from Grades K - 3. We started with the Dual Immersion kindergarten class in 2019 and will continue to expand up to 5th Grade. We are excited to continually add to it each year. Students are in a self contained classroom. It is an 80-20 program, which means kindergarten begins with 80% Mandarin instruction and 20% English instruction.
Wilson’s MDLI program will provide instruction using Traditional Mandarin Curriculum. This innovative program will afford the opportunity for native English speaking students and native speakers of other languages to learn Mandarin. The students will receive instruction in both Mandarin and English throughout the day in core academic areas. Dual Immersion Programs have been gaining in popularity nationwide recently and research has overwhelmingly indicated the benefits of such programs. Some of the benefits are:
- Students develop a high level of literacy in their primary language and in a second language.
- Students demonstrate positive cross-cultural attitudes and behaviors.
- Research has shown that students in Dual Immersion Kindergarten Programs have an increased level of achievement on Standardized Tests throughout their elementary experience.
- Cognitive development and critical thinking skills are utilized and well developed by learning a second language at an early age.
Wilson’s Mandarin Dual Immersion Kindergarten Program will be open to students from within the San Gabriel Unified School District and surrounding school districts. Many parents from surrounding areas have already decided to enroll their children in the program from outside of the San Gabriel Unified School District. There are a few spaces still available in our program, so if you are interested or you would like more information please contact Wilson Elementary at (626) 287-0497 or click here.